Rain over the Memorial Day weekend

May 21st, 2009 at 5:46 pm by under Uncategorized, Weather

I don’t know about you, but it seems like it always rains over Memorial Day weekend. This thought has sparked my curiosity to do some research on the weather over past Memorial Day weekends.

It turns out that it does rain on most Memorial Day weekends. Since 1975, 76% of the holiday weekends have recorded rainfall on at least one day, whether it is Saturday, Sunday or Monday. That leaves 24% of the weekends completely dry.

mem1

In the past fourteen years we have only seen one completely dry weekend, that was in 2003. Ironically the following year was the wettest Memorial Day weekend since 1975. Here is the list of the wettest Memorial Days.

mem3

While the statistic do show that rain is common over Memorial Day weekend, that doesn’t mean that all Memorial Day weekends are crummy. Take 2006 for example when the mercury rose to 89° on Memorial Day. In fact on every day that weekend the temperatures topped 80°. It was one of the hottest Memorial Day weekends on record.

mem5

Until Next Time,
Meteorologist Andrew Thut

Leave a Reply